PDA

View Full Version : Required tools on a Rigtruck

mach1charlie
03-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Hi Guys, first post.

I am thinking about setting up a rig, have a 4wd diesel truck, hand tools, 100+ 50- lead.

I know I'll need a diesel welder. What tools are required to go to work?

Also I am a Union hand.

LLprestige1
03-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Depends what kinda work you wana do structural or pipe?

mach1charlie
03-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Just pipe !

Never welded downhill, I can learn, been in powerhouses, papermills, refinerys, and a nuke, all uphill 6010 or tig root.

Thanks for your reply...Charlie

LLprestige1
03-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Well you say you got hand tools and the rig just get yourself a machine and all the pipe specialty tools I'm sure you've used before onto your rig and you should be set if anything you can go buying the ones you don't got as you go needing them..

mach1charlie
03-03-2012, 01:22 PM
any call for tig welding on a rig?

LLprestige1
03-03-2012, 01:47 PM
I'd have it on hand just in case I know they are heli arcing alot on pipe so it would be smart to have it ready...

Texasboogie
03-03-2012, 02:19 PM
If your running a rig in the plants, youd better have tig setup on your truck

Hot Pass
03-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Why would you NEED a diesel waleder?

There are plenty of gas drives available, and I haven't been turned down from a job yet, powerplants, refineries, pipe-line....

ez-muny09
03-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Only certain plants require diesel machines. Bur arent you union hand? If I read that right ,then you need to transfer your book to 798 n keep your retirement n insurance. 460 out of bakersfield ,California. Uses rig welders for plants out there.

mach1charlie
03-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Gonna have to get a pretty truck to join 798...

yes, its all about ins. & retirement @ 51 yo

ez-muny09
03-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Are u a ua welder now?no you don't have to have a nice truck ,just have to be able to weld down hill fast n pretty. Lol

mach1charlie
03-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Are u a ua welder now?no you don't have to have a nice truck ,just have to be able to weld down hill fast n pretty. Lol

Local 250 So Cal (LA). 798 web site has pictures of there "truck show", hell one rig is painted to match his dog/helper. Austrailan Shepard

Charlie
03-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Hi Guys, first post.

I am thinking about setting up a rig, have a 4wd diesel truck, hand tools, 100+ 50- lead.

I know I'll need a diesel welder. What tools are required to go to work?

Also I am a Union hand.

Hey bro...Dont know about 798 or pipeline but when I need a journeyman with a rig... a good running SA, Classic or SAE on a reliable 4x4 truck, long cables and a waledin halemet will do ya. I kinda answered your question on the wrong thread (post #25 on machine preferences) checkit out if you want. Woulda retyped it here but the short-term memory's cooked from last nite LOL

JORIAN
03-04-2012, 03:46 PM
@mach1charlie

search up this member idkchit

search his posts and threads he lists dam near every thing you will kneed on your truck the thread name is rig questions

happy hunting

pipewelder_guy
03-04-2012, 07:05 PM
LMAO, and then some more tools.

Stickit210
03-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Helo fellow welders I like all the good info but do u have to have ur bevel machines to start any pipeline job or sum don't require them I have everything but that and don't want to play the fool for not having them so please let me know thanks

Hot Pass
03-05-2012, 07:18 PM
@ Stickit;

It is to your advantage to have your own set, up to 12", most contractors should provide them for you.

Before, you unload alot of cash to get you a pair of them, see what kind work your up agaist first, if your mainlin'ing 12" and over probably not really neccessary.

If your doing alot of tie-ins might be a good idea.

If your working in a power house or refinery, it might be a good idea to get some, (Contractors usually have them on big turn-around jobs) if you have a welder buddy who trusts you enough, and maybe you can borrow a set of his in the meantime, until you can equip yourself.

Hope this helps a lil'.

JORIAN
03-05-2012, 07:20 PM
I was of the understanding that a beveler machine could be used in negotiations for a higher wage.

Hot Pass
03-05-2012, 08:27 PM
@ JORIAN;

everything is negotiable, your skills, tools, equipment. just depends on the contractor, if they have the tools and you have your own, probably not much negotiating, if they don't have tools, check in to it.

If they really want you to do the job, and you are the only one in 300 miles who can do it, well then, soak'em for all they will give.

I haven't tried to use my tools as a bargaining chip, I use my skills, gtaw, smaw, fcaw, gmaw, dual-shield, alloys, aluminum, CWI,...not posting a resume...lol

My tools are for my convience, and I take good care of them, I don't like using someone elses p.o.s., that needs to be repaired before I use them, you know what I mean.

Stickit210
03-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Man all this info really help thank y'all very much really appreciate it

JORIAN
03-05-2012, 09:45 PM
@hot pass

if you ever start another new rig welder profile you should name it hot sauce.

pipewelder_guy
03-06-2012, 04:51 PM
yea, here in NM we all have 2" to 8", companies provide the rest. We use to could charge an xtra hour for use of the 6 to 8, still can for a select few of companies...others.....notta, better have them.

hot sauce? LMAO That could be interpretated wrong, I aint going there.

JORIAN
03-06-2012, 08:03 PM
I mean no disrespect........ hot pass if full of secret sauce. Any time I have ever needed info a laugh or a weld procedure. he has always humbly provided.

pipewelder_guy
03-06-2012, 08:43 PM
I mean no disrespect........ hot pass if full of secret sauce. Any time I have ever needed info a laugh or a weld procedure. he has always humbly provided.

no disrespect man....I was just having fun, and still laughing, Hey I am from New Mexico, me and my wife get a bushel of Roasted Green Chile every year from the farm and separate into baggies for the freezer. The longer the Green Chile is in the freezer...the hotter it gets. Great on eggs, and everything else....Jalapeno got nuthin on Green Chili from NM.

Agreed On Hot Pass Sauce!!