PDA

View Full Version : Inventor of the pancake hood

H&DWelding
12-01-2011, 07:18 PM
here is some info that I thought was pretty cool the inventor of the pancake hood lived in Gillette, WY although he did not patten the idea way back in the day but its just a bit of useless info i thought i would share

hillbilly_welder
12-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Do you have any more info?

ez-muny09
12-01-2011, 07:49 PM
he is in the hereafter now ,name was charly gillcrest ,not sure on the spelling but he made the most comfortable hood. there are not many around any more,so if you ever come across one and can buy it ,(if its in good shape) grab it. i have a buddy that has one n he never uses it anymore,just carries it in his truck ,guess so he can say he has one lol oh and he is 60 something yrs old.lol sargents i believe bought the pattern from his son cuz he didnt want to make them. now thats just a rumore i heard dont know if that part is true for sure. :cool:

H&DWelding
12-02-2011, 09:43 PM
" The "inventor" was George Gilchrist of Gillette Wyoming, shortly after WWII when everything including welding hoods were in short supply.
George signed his pancakes with an engraving tool under the face piece.
For what it's worth he died in the mid-90's."

this was the actual write up that I found thats all the info I have found

H&DWelding
12-02-2011, 09:46 PM
i found that on the millerweld website under a thread called pancake hoods

ez-muny09
12-04-2011, 05:29 PM
yes ur exactly right i couldnt remember his name exactly but knew he was from wyoming and his hoods are a collectors item among rigwelders. thanks for the info.

drillman63
12-04-2011, 07:15 PM
what are his pankakes worth ? well made ?

jnmmorgan79
12-05-2011, 05:46 PM
See good things come from Wyoming. That is great info I am from Wy and had herd that at one time. But thought it was a rumor. Thanx I wear a pancake everyday and out in Pa were I am now. People who are not typical to pipeline always are wondering why guys wear them. I say try it and you never go back.

H&DWelding
12-05-2011, 07:22 PM
im getting ready to order my first on im so excited im going with a wendys but any one that has some sugestions i would like to hear them

ez-muny09
12-06-2011, 08:26 AM
wendies is good so is sarges out of browkenbow okl. just dont get that california pancake,you have to hold it on with a mouth piece,;);):rolleyes: no i am just joking cali welders. the other one is a one piece that wraps around the side from the front.
if you can find one of gilchrist hoods then you will be lucky and who ever has it wont get rid of it. its not that they are worth alot its just a part of history that you wont find anymore. they were very light and easy to form to your face and he was the first to make one. just something some guys would like to have to keep the history going,know what i mean.?:cool:

12vstrokethis
12-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Any body have a pic of one

energy-arc
12-06-2011, 09:36 AM
I have a couple of them. One wore by my dad and the other my uncle. I'll try to post a picture or two a little later.

energy-arc
12-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Thats obviously not a pic of the hoods. Just trying to learn how to post a pic to this site. I'll take a pic of the pancakes later.

energy-arc
12-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Looks like each hood has its own individual number located at the bottom of each faceplate. Kinda cool.

drillman63
12-06-2011, 03:59 PM
We made our own in the 80's i have to dig out some of my baby pics LOL

they were cool different shapes got the idea to build our own from this leather one that had a headgear in it still have them in our garage somewhere LOL

EZ u made me choke on a peice of cheese that part about Calf mouthpiece LOL

jnmmorgan79
12-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Thank you energy-arc this is a piece of history to us. There is a guy who I work with who makes fun of my pancake. He has no clue never been outside of his little world. And thinks that a fabermetal is the only hood. I bought a sugar scoop just to see his side and it is all right . But I love my pancake. Puts me in my own little world. lol

H&DWelding
12-06-2011, 07:38 PM
wow those are sweet pics i take it you have them im glad i started this thread. e-z i looked at a sarges in person at my LWS and the thing i wasnt so sure about was the little spring clip that holds the lens in was not very tight around the eye piece looks like it would come off pretty easy ? thats just wat i gatherd maby im wrong not sure how wendys does it i see the one piece wrap around they look dumb but i like how they have the alum angle piece that hold the lens in let me know more if u could or any one for that matter

jnmmorgan79
12-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Well, legend has it that the bad asses place a $100 bill behind your clip. To stop spatter on you lens. Cause money is F. R. ... I put a $1 bill seems to work just find. IDK but I here that $100 makes you weld better to.LMFAO

drillman63
12-10-2011, 06:45 PM
your awesome dude ROFLMAO

ez-muny09
12-10-2011, 08:35 PM
i have seen and used half a mouswe trap to hold the lense in also. i have also used the angle idea on my sarges hoods wendy uses a peice of plastic or metel ,thin spring to hold thiers in. usually i loose them and end up using the paper from a clear lense folded to fit in side the hole,it also keeps the sparkes from going in and getting on the edge of the dark lense.:cool:but everyone has thier own way to do it . wendy is a lil bit smaller on the round piece compared to sarges. but both are light and comfortable.hey go to PLwelder.com and look at her hoods she has . she puts a fire proof sticker on them.

pipewelder_guy
12-10-2011, 09:56 PM
i don't have a problem with my sarge without a side clip (Never used it). By the time I get cover plates front and back plus my thick azz auto shade then my cheaters..with the metel expander thier in there so tight....they aint going no where. That's how I get my roll of dimes don't ya know. And after 36 years of welding...I dont' wear glasses.

freefalling
12-11-2011, 08:35 PM
wow those are sweet pics i take it you have them im glad i started this thread. e-z i looked at a sarges in person at my LWS and the thing i wasnt so sure about was the little spring clip that holds the lens in was not very tight around the eye piece looks like it would come off pretty easy ? thats just wat i gatherd maby im wrong not sure how wendys does it i see the one piece wrap around they look dumb but i like how they have the alum angle piece that hold the lens in let me know more if u could or any one for that matter

I have a sarge and a wendy. I like wendy more. feels lighter

roff
12-15-2011, 06:10 PM
i don't have a problem with my sarge without a side clip (Never used it). By the time I get cover plates front and back plus my thick azz auto shade then my cheaters..with the metel expander thier in there so tight....they aint going no where. That's how I get my roll of dimes don't ya know. And after 36 years of welding...I dont' wear glasses.
I am in the same boat man I found a thin auto and it fits tight butt Like it for fitting up .I tryed a cheater the damn thing made me shick guse my eyes are not as bad as i was thinking LOL:D

pipewelder_guy
12-16-2011, 07:09 AM
I am in the same boat man I found a thin auto and it fits tight butt Like it for fitting up .I tryed a cheater the damn thing made me shick guse my eyes are not as bad as i was thinking LOL:D

shick guse? LOL

These new battery powered adustable shade lenses are huge but are the cats meow. The pancakes come in a new style whereby the lense holder is greatly expanded to hold all the crap. The older pancakes you can barely get a reguler lense and 2 protector plates in.

So if I was buying a new pancake, ask for the new extended lense compartment, then your covered........

4thgear
12-16-2011, 04:34 PM
As far as the sarges shields go, I replace the spring clip with a small piece of aluminum angle and bolt it through with a brass bolt to keep the spatter from sticking. I like to make a little block of duct tape to fill the space behind it. Works great for keeping sparklies out. Just my 2 cents.

ciscofrisco
01-06-2012, 12:10 PM
My dads got a engraved pancake hood, Says George Gilchirst, Inventor of the pancake, 1119 Luneoaln?(Hard to read) Ave. Rock springs Wyo 82901, Phone Number : 307*******. Had it since i was a kid

H&DWelding
01-06-2012, 05:11 PM
hang on to that bad boy id make a nice display case to put it in and hand it down to your kids

Frank Surber
01-29-2012, 05:08 AM
I am on my 2nd Gilchrist hood my first one disappeared in sometime in 1971 after I had joined the Army. It had been given to me by one of my mentors back in 69 and for that reason alone I wouldn't have taken any amount of money for it. in late 81 between Nov & Dec I read about a 36" going in up around Caspar Wy. So off to chase pipe I went. Now visualize this if you can. Here is a guy making a drive all the way from the oil patch in Texas who had been design building trailer mounted drill rigs, suddenly decides that he needs a pancake hood. makes a 1500 mile drive to go work on a 30 mile stretch of 36" and a guy who Strike #1,hadn't ever chased pipe strike #2,his rig was heavy loaded down with tools and a Holbart 400D. I had found where I could locate a pancake hood made by The one and only George Gilchrist so I bought 1 then spent the weekend carving and sanding on the nose grove and forehead piece but hadn't cranked my machine in a week.. anyway I show up early on Monday morning to test out the Super sees my dirty tan colored Holbart and, STRIKE# THREE!!!
"On no uncertain terms will I allow a $*#&$^## Hobart diesel on my line" But since you drove 1500 miles you might as well test out so I can have a reason to bust you off the line. I spooled out then connected on my whip stinger reached up and punched the preheat for a few seconds
" What the *#*@& are you doing now? wont that piece of crap start?"
It'll start but the temp is around -30 and I haven't even cranked it in a week I don't want to spin it over but a couple of times before it fires up. So @ 30 seconds I turn the key by the time the 3rd piston comes up she is roaring and ready.
I take a few rods and slip my pancake on ready to burn in my root.
Just then the sounds of several Lincolns are being ground to the point of dead batteries not 1 of them will start. I tell the Super that I'll boost all of them off before I do my test to give those guys an even chance at the job, he has so much as told me that I'm not getting on no matter what.
So I spin my knobs down to Zero and have 4 or 5 guys hook into my leads at the same time then turn them up until my meters are about 1/4 way pretty soon you hear 6 gray monsters blubbering to warm up.
The super just snatched up the rods from my pouch and tossed them along with the nipples in the scrap pile, then said I need you to do risers and turn backs move your rig around back of this tent then after all of these guys test out you will be using this tent as your work shop.
I still have my Gilchrist pancake and it has been around the world with me literally. For the past 9 years I have been working as the Senior design engineer in a factory I built here in Kuwait. this morning for the first time in many years I drug out the pancake and used it to show some guys how to do a 6G Arkansas Bell Hole style.
I will have that hood until the day they put me in the ground

Rodburner
01-29-2012, 05:57 AM
Welcome Frank. I hope you like it here and come around often. Tom

ez-muny09
02-03-2012, 07:01 PM
hey frank welcome from across the big pond. do you have someone to pass that hood on too when your gone? i would like to get one( from anyone that has one,) to keep put up for future welders to see and keep charlies legacy going . please if anyone has one they would like to part with i would greatly appreciate the chance to buy it . just pm me or call me.

roff
02-04-2012, 07:29 PM
grate story man...make your self at home :D