PDA

View Full Version : Want to start my own Rig

batsbig
08-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Hey guys,
First off I am new to this site, and wasn't sure how to go about all this. I have been welding since high school while in votech. I am currently working for a non-union contractor welding pipe for about a year and half. API 1104 cert, and not bad with about anytype of welding. My boss supplies my rig currently along with all consumables, and equipment. I have a good idea of what I would need to purchase to start this venture.

What my real question is, how do I acquire the work. I know times are tough and right now I am part time. I didn't want to take the dive and buy stuff without some guarnteed work. Have welder and torches and all basic tools, but not a heavy truck, or more specialized tools.

Also is anyone looking for a welder to come out and use their equipment, maybe be a welder/helper until I can get my own rig underway. Willing to Relocate

JDWALKER
08-04-2009, 10:59 PM
stay where your at save your money buy tools a little at a time by a good truvk and welder pay cash 4 it

500AMP_RIG
08-05-2009, 05:50 AM
There are thousands of rig welder out of work right now my self included Work where your at slowly get your rig built up to completion see if you can get a rise when your done or look while you are working land the job solid then move but don't move with out a job and moneys coming in at all times or you will be selling that rig to the next guy like a like of others are be smart don't ruin your credit looking where you think the grass is greener because it is not lust my opinion as a 24 year rigger

Bear

batsbig
08-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Thanks guys

xcmwelder
08-05-2009, 05:40 PM
There are thousands of rig welder out of work right now my self included Work where your at slowly get your rig built up to completion see if you can get a rise when your done or look while you are working land the job solid then move but don't move with out a job and moneys coming in at all times or you will be selling that rig to the next guy like a like of others are be smart don't ruin your credit looking where you think the grass is greener because it is not lust my opinion as a 24 year rigger

Bear

you said it RIGHT

Lafnbowtie
08-10-2009, 07:47 PM
I have went through every contact I have, been at it 20+, then worked my way down my old mans contacts of 45+, the pickins are so slim they cant be called pickins, start out with equip you can pay for in the green plain and simple and you can always upgrade as time goes on, this is the worst I have ever seen it for work and leads for a job, right now if you do not have the main contact for a spread boss and have a close contact that new them, you will have an even harder time finding work because the office clerk will damn sure not give you any number or even actknowledge any job your inquiring about. The work will pick-up, it is already seeming better than a short couple months ago, but nowhere near what it was in '08 and prior, best of luck.

UPFIVE
09-27-2009, 08:45 PM
All of these guys are telling it like it is. Listen to them and you'll be alright. I have been at it for 16 years and have always had all the work I wanted right here at home. But when it died, it died fast. I sat at home for most of this year before landing a spot. The best advise I could give is stay where you are for as long as you can, Pay cash for your stuff, and put some money away for times like this. I have some friends that have lost most if not all of thier stuff to the banks because the work dried up and they didn't own any of thier shiny new toys.