Rig Welder Forums  

Go Back   Rig Welder Forums > Everything Else

Old 09-29-2018, 02:19 PM

Looking at Maintance/Service truck with crane

Ive been wanting to get a maintence/service truck with a crane. Any advise on what chassis to stay away from? Who makes the best service bodies? What to look for in a crane? Very low budget, so it going to be 2008 and older.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:21 PM

Re: Looking at Maintance/Service truck with crane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosted Flakes View Post
I’ve been wanting to get a maintence/service truck with a crane. Any advise on what chassis to stay away from? Who makes the best service bodies? What to look for in a crane? Very low budget, so it going to be 2008 and older.
nothing wrong with most if you do some extra work on them yourself. One thing to keep in mind, don't go cheap on the crane, extended reach or capacity compared to the truck. And then, no, don't let anybody else fuck with it.

Done a shit load of work with a 1 ton rolling tail board and Gin poles strong enough with a 10,000 # Ramsey Winch to pick the front wheels off the ground since like 87 with 3 different trucks.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:21 PM

Since you are by Chicago, i suggest Richie brothers. Years ago i picked up an 88 f9000 with a 21.5 ton knuckleboom for about 3500. Remember big trucks sometimes go cheap because they require a cdl. Depends what you are wanting to do with it.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle353 View Post
Since you are by Chicago, i suggest Richie brothers. Years ago i picked up an 88 f9000 with a 21.5 ton knuckleboom for about 3500. Remember big trucks sometimes go cheap because they require a cdl. Depends what you are wanting to do with it.
I have a class A, but its kinda hard to park a big monster truck at the house! I did see a C5500 with 287,000 miles, owner claimed fresh top end on it, whatever that means on a diesel?! It had a 6,000# crane with 22 of reach, its still a little bigger than what I wanted. Its also on the high side for price.

I thought about doing a gin pole setup, but most of the time i have space constraints and work next to the truck. Would a gin pole work on a panel side truck, I normally see more on a flat bed or welders bed.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosted Flakes View Post
I have a class A, but its kinda hard to park a big monster truck at the house! I did see a C5500 with 287,000 miles, owner claimed fresh top end on it, whatever that means on a diesel?! It had a 6,000# crane with 22 of reach, its still a little bigger than what I wanted. Its also on the high side for price.

I thought about doing a gin pole setup, but most of the time i have space constraints and work next to the truck. Would a gin pole work on a panel side truck, I normally see more on a flat bed or welders bed.
I wouldn't mess with gin poles. JMHO
Old 11-23-2018, 10:10 PM

You're a ways away but look in California. 10 year old diesels are outlawed for commercial use so you can probably get one pretty cheap.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorgmanWeldingWorks View Post
You're a ways away but look in California. 10 year old diesels are outlawed for commercial use so you can probably get one pretty cheap.
Kinda strange, logged on here to post to see how you were doing BorgmanWeldingWorks and all your brothers. Gnarly California Fires were in you're neck of the woods wern't they. Hope all are OK.