Rig Welder Forums  

Go Back   Rig Welder Forums > General Welding Questions

Old 01-21-2012, 01:37 AM

Re: 12 on 12 or branch saddle

Very very helpful cant wait to try that methiod thanks guys for posting that info.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodburner View Post
Thanks guys. I'm still kind of new to this too, so jump in here if I'm off on anything. I'll get pictures of the cut out etc. Monday.
awesome

looking forward to it
Old 01-21-2012, 08:28 AM

That's damn cool of you to post those pics Rodburner
Old 01-21-2012, 02:13 PM

Thank you again to all of you that have posted. It has been very helpful and the pictures are great. Cant wait for monday to see the new pics of the cut outs!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:15 PM

Hey rodburner, I have the wrap around and the soapstone, so how do i get one of those templets that you have???
Old 01-21-2012, 05:25 PM

piece of banding material works better than the wrap around, and that pattern is a piece of adding tape machine paper available at any walgreens or office supply, folded several times and the corners cut just like in grade school when ya made snowflakes.

Wrap it around your pipe OD. mark it, cut it, fold it.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:59 PM

thats pretty good pwg. i wish they would have had this site 25 years ago i could have saved lots of money and not gone to welding school. lol No really thats cool that you can show the newbies some tricks of the trade. now a lil more advice,dont go taking any test till you have welded about 30-400 of these branches ,that inspector will know if your there to practise or if your a veteran. so make it easier for your self and practise alot before you drive any where to test. and dont get disappointed if you dont make your first one cuz your going to be nervous as hell and inspectors feed on that fear.lol it is best to learn how to lay out the branch and then if the inspector lets you use a template then thats better for you. but you realy need to find some one with expierience to help you till you get comfortable. best of luck to all you new guys.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:20 PM

thanks pwg and ez muny, and your right ez about how much practice it takes. I couldnt tell you how many times i practice for the 6g cert ALOT. As i plan on doing the 12 on 12 as many times as it take until i can do it no problem...Ive been on several pipelines and know what they test, being that i have been a welders helper for 8 years. Just never learned the set up for the 12 on 12 test. Some companys test for it and some just test a butt weld. I pretty sure it more of a marathon test and a fitting test than anything else, being that i have never seen anybody weld it in the field. thanks again to everyone for the advice.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:37 PM

that branch test is an endurance test as well as for welding on thread o lets and weld-o-lets. but no one does a saddle anymore there are fittings now and reinforcement pads. now some times you have to saddle a nozzel on to a barel and then put the reinforcement pad on ,thats the only time i have seen a saddle used in a long time. well if you have been a helper have you never helped a welder on a test? hell most of my helpers can cut and fit the branch better than me!lol
ur right just keep practising cuz it takes alot before you can do it good enough for someone else to look at and judge.
weld weld and then weld some more.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:49 PM

Yeah the two welder i worked for off and on these past several years would have me come to the job after they tested...My guess incase they busted their test it wasnt a wasted trip. I only helped on one test for one of the welders and it was just a 6g. I always got to see the end result of the brach after they cut the coupons out,but never got to see the layout...which is wierd i did everything else for those guys lol...