Rig Welder Forums  

Go Back   Rig Welder Forums > General Welding Questions

Old 06-10-2017, 04:50 PM

X42 what will it qualify me for??

I have been running into an issue with inspectors and other people telling me that if I was to test on X42 I would not be able to weld any higher yield pipe like X52 X70 and so on. But if also been told that it works the other way.. Does anyone know 100% which way it works? If you could point me into the right direction to see it in writing that'd help out a lot.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:44 AM

Re: X42 what will it qualify me for??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welderjoe90 View Post
I have been running into an issue with inspectors and other people telling me that if I was to test on X42 I would not be able to weld any higher yield pipe like X52 X70 and so on. But if also been told that it works the other way.. Does anyone know 100% which way it works? If you could point me into the right direction to see it in writing that'd help out a lot.
What specification are you welding to? Typically in all codes base material tensile/yield is a essential variable. Which means your only qualified for certain ranges. A lot of it depends on what wps your welding with as well, there really isn't a blanket weld test that qualifies you for everything. All owner/contractor specific as well since whatever they spec out exceeds all codes and specifications.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welderjoe90 View Post
I've tested on X42 .500 wall 6010 bead 7010 out for Williams and that qualified me for X70 pipe using 8010 . Also tested welders using X65 pipe but the qualifications were still the same . That's Williams tho
Old 06-17-2017, 07:04 AM

Yeah it's all up to the customer & contractor.
Give the people what they want...or else lol
Old 06-17-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WELDO View Post
I've tested on X42 .500 wall 6010 bead 7010 out for Williams and that qualified me for X70 pipe using 8010 . Also tested welders using X65 pipe but the qualifications were still the same . That's Williams tho
yea, was always fun to test with newbie rig-welders who have never encountered hard pipe. They tack their nipples up, and they swell shut...ha ha Williams & El Paso did that often, regardless of WPS. You should know yep happened to me once, only back then no fancy tools, just a hacksaw to open er up. I was once a newbie. lol

Last edited by pipewelder_guy; 06-18-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:14 PM

That would suck to have to hacksaw it open