Rig Welder Forums  

Go Back   Rig Welder Forums > Machines, tools, etc.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:10 AM

Self-Inflicted SA200 Magento Problem

I have a Lincoln SA200 my dad bought thirty years ago to use around the farm. We rebuilt the motor then from top to bottom and has run like a top since then, with no more than maybe a thousand hours on it over those years. When we parked it about four years ago, it ran fine but the welds were nothing more than a little crackle... you couldn't lay a nice bead, so we parked it behind the barn and I finished the job with my Miller 220v welder, with the intent of working on the Lincoln when I had time. With the COVID stuff going on, I now have time.

I backed it into the shop Tuesday evening, put a hot battery in it and turned it over, but with no spark. I pulled the magneto off and took off the dust cap and rotar, points, condenser, and timing gear plate and all looked ok. I put a new condenser in and polished the points and put everything back the way I thought it needed to go, but now I don't get any spark and I know I did something wrong. I know it's putting out power because I turned the gear on the back to make sure it "snapped" and when I did that, my left palm was touching the coil tab and it bit me, so I know it's hot. Could I have not coiled the spring enough, or correctly under the gear on the back? The "C" is lined up with the indention mark on the smaller timing gear and points are set at fifteen thousands.

I tried attaching pictures of the timing marks and the placement in hopes that someone will see this and tell me where I messed up, but the files are too large and won't upload. Maybe I can figure out how to reduce their sizes and try to upload them again. I did the work so I am big enough to accept my failure, but I can't learn from this if I don't know where I went wrong. Any advice and input is most welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200423_121244.jpg (265.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20200423_121312.jpg (290.8 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Tony D.; 04-23-2020 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Re: Self-Inflicted SA200 Magento Problem

Tony,

It looks like the points are not making good contact. Can you throw in a new set? if not use a file to square up the point faces. make sure the finial step is to clean the points with a business card before you put the cap on. are you sure you are turning the impulse coupling in the correct direction?
Hope this helps good luck.

Speedy
Old 04-24-2020, 06:41 AM

Re: Self-Inflicted SA200 Magento Problem

I believe the problem is solved. I put it in a vice, grounded the coil tab with a screwdriver to the housing, turned the gear and no spark at all, so I ordered a new coil and it should be here today. I'll post back here one way or another.