Rig Welder Forums  

Go Back   Rig Welder Forums > Work

Old 02-24-2017, 07:30 PM

Let's here how y'all landed your first welding position

As for me I broke out as a single hand about 3 months before oil tanked. I was a helper at a company called PCL and a family friend who was a foreman for a small oilfield construction company had mentioned his company was looking for a single hand. I would practice the 2" 160 6g test at work on my lunches and pay the X-ray hands $20 bucks to shoot my welds. It came time for me to take my test and I borrowed my welders truck after work and drove to the company's yard and passed their test. After that they made me go to an X-ray company pay $300 and get certified by them. It's been about 4 years and ever since then I've been welding for them and only took about a month off during this entire downturn.

Let's here how y'all got your first welding position.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:04 PM

Re: Let's here how y'all landed your first welding position

I left Tulsa right after I passed my final weld tests, drove back to CA, took a test with a mechanical contractor and went to work. I didn't even stay in Oklahoma long enough to go to my own graduation. Actually, I think I was back and working before my graduation day.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:43 AM

There's a lot of guys I've worked with I'm positive just got on there knees for there first one and still do to this day for a test.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:26 AM

The year was 2001. I answered a ad in the local Tampa Bay paper. Guy was looking for welders. Rang him up..., turns out he was looking for rig hands. Me being 24 had never even seen a rig truck before..... I bought a 1500 C10 truck and tossed a rented big 40 in the back and bought 300 ft of 2/0. We were welding 72" pipe. Out worked a few " established " rig hand in the first few months and eventually was the only welder on the job. Six months in I bought my first diesel dually and a Lincoln sa250.... and the rest is history.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:33 AM

My step dad was a production manager at company being shipped to Australia my junior year. They hired me and sent me to the back with the welders that we're building the cradles to set down the tanks. I was helping brush and grind parts until the taredown started, then I got stuck washing parts. That may I went and asked about a summer job at the shop. They hired me and kept me on through the school year. Went to drilling rigs, a hot tie in, and rebuilt three rigs before I even graduated high school. It worked at good since my parents moved to Australia right before my senior year.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:18 PM
Welderwoman06

Thumbs up Re: Let's here how y'all landed your first welding position

I went to welding school in Wyoming for two years, graduated and landed my first test welding for the P&H MinePro welding with flux core. I worked there for 2.5 years, then quit when I was tested by the coast guard and hired for a small company in Alaska. It was seasonal work in the ship yard (awesome experience, if anyone ever gets a chance to work in Alaska, do it!)

Three words: HEAVEN ON EARTH, unless your on the north slope.

Right before that job came to an end I started looking for welding jobs again and I saw a post on FB about a guy needing a single hand pipe welder in North Dakota. I called about it and was hired as a structural welder in training for a pipe welding test & work.
I learned how to lay out a branch from watching YouTube videos and would stay after work to practice almost everyday. I passed my first butt and branch test about two months after getting that job in ND and eventually broke out a couple months later with my own rig. Looking back now I broke too early, I definitely had some major struggles at some points but I have learned so much since then and still learning everyday. I have to thank a lot of my knowledgeable mentors who paid it forward to help me out welding or just taking a call to answer my questions. I've been a pipe welder ever since doing single hand, combo or rig work.