Rig Welder Forums  

Go Back   Rig Welder Forums > Work

Old 03-06-2017, 03:33 PM

Re: Throwin it out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothoperator View Post
You need to get on with your local union to start with.......Get all the hood time you need practicing and learn the other parts of the trade as an apprentice ....
that is a plan I have looked into, they have a orientation meeting coming up on Marh 11 I plan on attending. I do not know much about the union or how they work so it is a new venture for me.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokerig View Post
Just a quick tip, if you ever do practice on sch 10 stainless make sure you have a good back purge. When you back purge make sure you got a rag on the end of the line or a bottle with holes poked on the sides to make sure that purge spreads, last thing you want is a straight stream of purge ( you get sugar). Make sure the root looks as shiny as the surrounding metal and not dark or crusty because that means your not purging good and are either sugaring or on the verge of sugaring. One important thing, use a 3/32 wire because 1/8 has a tendency to run too hot which in turn key holes the bevels too much. Also run it cold and just barely feed wire, if you feel pressure while feeding then you most likely got cold rod. If your on a machine that shows amperage run the root around the 60 range and the hot and cap maybe around 70-75.
Come on seriously ? Your skrewing with him right ? If not, that's wrong info and incorrect ! I'm a TIG Stainless welder and use 5/32 rod on Sch. 10 Howza bout that shit
Old 03-06-2017, 05:58 PM

Damn Weldo your just a plain badass!
Old 03-07-2017, 03:36 AM

Quote:
No PS just telling ya what I use is all
Old 03-07-2017, 04:17 AM
Welderwoman06

Exactly... Like I told weldo, We gotta be young and stupid before I can be olderrr and wiserrr

Quote:
Old 03-07-2017, 07:41 AM

I'm sure Weldo is a beast I don't doubt that....this thread has had 370+ views, all you guys have good helper hands? I know one of y'all need one or want to ditch the one that you have and don't want!... I am trying to be patient and proactive as possible but I need a little help getting some work. I'm down to travel have a trustworthy truck, and you won't regret having me on...just so its at the top......

Hey all, need a little help or advise. I have been a forum member for a couple months now and read/learn a ton of stuff on here. I have to say that I did not intend to become a member just to get work, but here she goes. I am in need of a helper/ ditch hand position with a reputable welder. I live in North East Texas and am willing to travel anywhere anytime. I am 30 years old, clean as a whistle, and will work my ass off rain or shine without whining. I most recently was working for a pipeline company on the permian doing maintenance work, and as a welder hand. I did go to a 2 year program at a tech school for welding, and worked in a couple fab shops and a pipe shop for a while welding pipe, so I am fully competent, and fairly proficient in Stick, TIG, and FCAW. I can read blueprints and Iso's, have a knowledge of most common weld symbols, read metric and standard tape, am pretty fair at fitting, and bevel pipe with beveler or with a grinder, i have oil pipeline and gas pipeline/distribution experience. I am looking for a welder to work for, for a while since I would like to weld pipeline one day, unfortunately I just don't know a lot of people in the business. I have been chasing rig welders down the highway to wherever there going and following pipe trucks to jobs to try and meet people but it has not gotten me far yet. I have a valid license, TWIC card, and OSHA is up to date, also have OQ's but I think there company owned. I have been knocking on every door that I know of and just can't seem to find it, so Im reaching out to you all here at rigwelder for help. I would make a good hand for someone, I keep my mouth shut, like to work hard and have a lot of learning to do. So if someone's looking for a hand please give me a shout.....Throw the dog a bone, bags are packed. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:49 PM
Welderwoman06

Cant help you with the job part, the company I work for doesn't give us helpers. Weldo is one to know. He's helped me out a number of times over the phone/on this forum when I first broke out and has continued to help me. Very knowledgeable guy. Anyhow good luck out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhand View Post
I'm sure Weldo is a beast I don't doubt that....this thread has had 370+ views, all you guys have good helper hands? I know one of y'all need one or want to ditch the one that you have and don't want!... I am trying to be patient and proactive as possible but I need a little help getting some work. I'm down to travel have a trustworthy truck, and you won't regret having me on...just so its at the top......

Hey all, need a little help or advise. I have been a forum member for a couple months now and read/learn a ton of stuff on here. I have to say that I did not intend to become a member just to get work, but here she goes. I am in need of a helper/ ditch hand position with a reputable welder. I live in North East Texas and am willing to travel anywhere anytime. I am 30 years old, clean as a whistle, and will work my ass off rain or shine without whining. I most recently was working for a pipeline company on the permian doing maintenance work, and as a welder hand. I did go to a 2 year program at a tech school for welding, and worked in a couple fab shops and a pipe shop for a while welding pipe, so I am fully competent, and fairly proficient in Stick, TIG, and FCAW. I can read blueprints and Iso's, have a knowledge of most common weld symbols, read metric and standard tape, am pretty fair at fitting, and bevel pipe with beveler or with a grinder, i have oil pipeline and gas pipeline/distribution experience. I am looking for a welder to work for, for a while since I would like to weld pipeline one day, unfortunately I just don't know a lot of people in the business. I have been chasing rig welders down the highway to wherever there going and following pipe trucks to jobs to try and meet people but it has not gotten me far yet. I have a valid license, TWIC card, and OSHA is up to date, also have OQ's but I think there company owned. I have been knocking on every door that I know of and just can't seem to find it, so Im reaching out to you all here at rigwelder for help. I would make a good hand for someone, I keep my mouth shut, like to work hard and have a lot of learning to do. So if someone's looking for a hand please give me a shout.....Throw the dog a bone, bags are packed. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:01 AM

Same here, I've always done plant work and just about every company I've worked for doesn't supply the welder a helper.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:16 PM
Welderwoman06

So your doing mostly combo or structural type work then? Single hand I'm assuming...?

Quote:
Same here, I've always done plant work and just about every company I've worked for doesn't supply the welder a helper.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:53 PM

Nope I've done both single hand rig welding (whatever is available) and ive always been a combo welder but in all the plant work I've done, your hardly ever given a helper dedicated to the welder. I always stay in the south Texas area and just about all the companies are like that. There are a couple that the welder is actually thought of as important but like I said just a few.
I've actually overheard quite a couple Foreman meetings where the GF says if the welder has any complaints just fire them.

Last edited by powerstrokerig; 03-08-2017 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Misspelling