Rig Welder Forums  

Go Back   Rig Welder Forums > Work

Old 03-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Welderwoman06

Re: Throwin it out there

I gotcha. I did the same thing last year and never had a helper on any of the jobs but anyways westcon is supposed to be kickin off a big job in WV this coming may or something... a rig job and probably combo. So if you are looking to leave Texas you might call them. In my experience when I worked for them they just gave us fitters. No helpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokerig View Post
Nope I've done both single hand rig welding (whatever is available) and ive always been a combo welder but in all the plant work I've done, your hardly ever given a helper dedicated to the welder. I always stay in the south Texas area and just about all the companies are like that. There are a couple that the welder is actually thought of as important but like I said just a few.
I've actually overheard quite a couple Foreman meetings where the GF says if the welder has any complaints just fire them.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:39 PM

I have yet to work with a phenomenal fitter.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:05 PM

I did once his name was Lewis and he was from Argentina, couldn't understand a damn word he said other then "tack it" but every fit was damn near perfect
Old 03-15-2017, 12:32 PM

well guys I been reading the replies when they come all good info, Ive been busy this week grandmama left us, and I had to get her house all cleaned out. Anyways Im back, what Im gathering is being a welder helper doesn't exist? so how do you learn? I've been to school and worked a while in a shop...should I already know "enough"? hot work I am in love with, its the only thing I feel like I could do for career for the rest of my life. But I don't feel like I know enough to just go start testing everywhere I can just to bust a bunch of tests and waste time and money. Every body I talk to is like "you need to be a welder helper for a while" but the harder I try seems like the more impossible it is. I have sent 2 applications to 798 for a helper, I call call call.... hopefully this time? I don't give up on most anything, but Im feeling like I am not getting anywhere. Im gathering everybody thats a successful rig welder was just a great welder right out of the gate, and knew someone who helped them in. Im pretty good and don't have many connections yet so Im SOL...? The local pipe fitter hall here is not doing orientation until next year again, so I'm out on that for atlas 9 months. Thanks
Old 03-15-2017, 03:47 PM

Hey hungryhand sorry to hear about your loss, my condolences go out to you and your family. As far as the helper thing I started out as one in a fab shop. I was pretty much a helper for whoever needed one such as the fitters, welders, the riggers. That's mainly how it is around the shops and in the refineries. There's the pipelines where there is a welder helper but you will learn just pipeline welding. I learned while everyone was taking a break, I would ask the welder to use their tig rig and they would just explain to me how to do it. From there the Foreman made me a tacker and slowly I started to understand it.
What really helps is having a welding machine at the house and buy plenty of pipe and practice practice practice! It will take time but don't get discouraged buddy!
Old 03-15-2017, 09:45 PM

thanks Powerstroke, ok I see ya...Ive been trying my ass off to find a rig welder doing pipeline as that is what I would really like to get into, but I guess beggars can't be choosers... a friend of my brother contacted me today talking about a job with them in their shop said the forman is looking for a good guy with talent so he threw my name in the hat, so I guess if it works out... back to the shop I go.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:39 PM

it is wild to me that this thread with 1300 views not one offer.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhand View Post
it is wild to me that this thread with 1300 views not one offer.
Nobody is going to take you on a job with them when they no nothing about you . I mean most guys have friends or people they know and are familiar with. And then they are comfortable taking them under there wing . Sorry but you need to call Pipe Companies and find a job and then show them how great you are and go from there ! Good Luck
Old 03-17-2017, 06:36 PM
Welderwoman06

I strongly agree with Weldo. I called a lot of companies when i first broke out...kept calling till someone gave me a test. I also have a notebook where i keep a list of companies and their contact info. It helps to know people but if i were you id start calling or get on those Facebook welder "groups" and just do some networking. Also check out roadtechs.com theres a lot of job postings on there for multiple construction jobs. Good luck!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WELDO View Post
Nobody is going to take you on a job with them when they no nothing about you . I mean most guys have friends or people they know and are familiar with. And then they are comfortable taking them under there wing . Sorry but you need to call Pipe Companies and find a job and then show them how great you are and go from there ! Good Luck
Old 03-24-2017, 08:15 PM

Thanks welder woman, I also have a notebook...or notebook"s" of everybody that Iv'e met what they do who they are and so on, I;m a conscious man that knows what I want and will do everything possible to get there. TO WELDO.... thanks for your bit... I understand, what I am getting at is I don't personally know someone that will just take his buddy on a job, I do understand that nepotism reigns supreme, I have been plugging away for over a year and a half now, thats after working in a pipe shop for 2 years and going to school for 2 years and after working in numerous fab shops as a fitter/welder... do you understand that I am better than your buddy and your nephew. I don't want to try it out or just see if I like it and better yet you don't have to show me how the grasshopper lands on the fuckin tube, I get it. I reached out here because theres a lot of riggys doing what I want to be around. I would be better than the ditch hand that you have now. I can fit I am capable of most any weld and I desire doing this the right way. I just want to work for a reputable weldor and learn, and even more so that I can't even find a in to being a hand. I'll get there though and I appreciate the input.... and just to add I don't call I go, I drive down and show up calling has gotten me 0 fucks ever.