Rig Welder Forums  

Go Back   Rig Welder Forums > Work

Old 04-13-2017, 10:06 AM

Why the hell is it so hard to get in. Theres all these jobs posted unfilled but yet the bas seem to turn thier nose at you?
Old 04-13-2017, 06:43 PM

Talking Re: 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth jordan View Post
Why the hell is it so hard to get in. Theres all these jobs posted unfilled but yet the bas seem to turn thier nose at you?
Been like that from the beginning of time.......You have to know some one, unless your an Eskimo or American Indian, it's a bitch to get in..... WELDO probably could give you better insight into this "situation ".... Cause he's on the inside looking out
Old 04-13-2017, 07:57 PM

Re: 798

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that fact. Bunch of bs those guys can come onto any building trades job but god forbid they give any travelers work. I rarely see them in my neck of the woods so I can't get to know any of them to get out. Seen Michael's pipeline is redoing some river/road bores for Phillips 66 in billings. Would be good work close to home of I could get out rather than the damn refineries here but oh well gotta man our work before it all goes nonunion.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:03 AM

Its a crock of shit. Ive been tryin to get in for over 2 years n always get the same story
Old 04-15-2017, 07:39 AM
Welderwoman06

I got a couple friends in 798 and they all say the same thing, "they're a clicky bunch". I can't speak for Weldo but he's basically told me the same things. You gotta know somebody or be related to the right person or just be in the right position at the right time. However in my experience I've seen a lot of the same issues on the non union side, don't you?
Old 04-15-2017, 09:17 AM

Why are you hung up on 798? Even if you're a member that doesn't guarantee you'll keep busy. 798 is not the only union out there.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:18 PM

Its not just 798 ive been in contact with bout 5 different locals for 2 years n no luck
Old 04-15-2017, 02:17 PM

What do you mean "in touch with them"? Did you apply for apprenticeship, and then test? Did you take any weld tests? Most locals take apprentices when needed, and have been taking like crazy for the past decade to replace the retiring baby boomers. It's not a fast process to get in, i know some guys tried for a decade, but with determination and work (effort spent applying and testing) they got in. I'm not in 798, don't know anyone from 798, but i do know advancements in pipeline construction have reduced the number of people needed to do the same amount of work, so maybe they are looking ahead and slowing on hiring right now. You have to remember, going union is a career, not a job. They would fail if they just brought in everyone who has a welding hood, despite how badly they wish they could represent them. Take your time, apply and test, check to see if they are organizing welders, and show up. They hair follicle drug test btw, so many fuck that part up its amazing. Good luck man, it's been such a blessing to me and my family.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:15 AM

Many locals are giving apprenticeships and organizing as we speak. Standout RMD wire weldors, 100% X-ray B31 servere capable UA21 weldors, seasoned veteran downhill rigweldors, medical gas braziers, competent critical lift riggers that are permanent residents of appalachin jurisdictions all have a shot at getting in if you have what it takes.
Make you home here...this is an eastern Ohio/Appalachian thing. Apply. Pass the tests. Take the oath and keep it for life.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:05 PM

OK well if you are a UA member and have pipeline experience then you need to stay on them . If you have nothing but building trade experience then you most likely will be SOL ! Why would 798 bring you on ? IDK It took me almost 4 years to break into the UA .