Rig Welder Forums  

Go Back   Rig Welder Forums > Everything Else

Old 01-24-2016, 01:31 AM

Union questions

I have been wondering if it's acceptable to hold both a boilermakers book and be in the UA or is that like pick one or the other?
Old 01-24-2016, 02:18 AM

Re: Union questions

Short answer is Yes. Many local bylaws say after you retire you can't work in the trade or your pension is frozen for 6 months. Some weld for a different trade for a short shut down to get a little extra money during retirement.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestderp View Post
I have been wondering if it's acceptable to hold both a boilermakers book and be in the UA or is that like pick one or the other?
Its one or the other! Lets say your not suppose to carry 2 books! Not sure how anyone would know unless you told someone and that wouldn't be good! Pipefitters and boiler makers fight all the time over who's work is who's. You will make more money and stay busyer as a fitter/welder IMHO!
Old 01-24-2016, 08:20 AM

I can't find my bylaws book right now to look this up. I think there is something in there but I can't say for sure until I look. Most of the things I read state that you can not perform any work that falls under the UAs jurisdiction while laid off or while actively drawing your pension. I've never specifically looked for anything regarding dual membership. If it was allowed you would probably have to hide it or risk being black balled if they found out. Especially between boiler makers and Pipefitters because their work is so close together. We have jurisdictional disputes all the time at power houses regarding whose work is whose. A lot of these guys are hard core and sooner or later you would probably find yourself on the fence between two that you have worked for and then they both would have it out for you. The three main forms of communication used to be telegraph, telephone and tell-a-fitter.

Now if you were retired or took a withdraw card you are not considered an active member and then you could probably get buy with it.

The jurisdictional disputes are fine if they can happen professionally and in private. As soon as the customer hears of it or sees it effecting the job it's all bad.

The pioefitters union has been good to me but I have nothing against the other unions or non-union. We are all just trying to make a livin.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:10 PM

Thanks for all the info! I am only asking because I kinda fell into the boilermakers local out of Wisconsin, and have been seriously considering going union on the rig side of things. Seems I will likely just take a withdraw if I can get some ua work this Summer, and if not I will just keep doing independent pipe work and whatever the boilermakers have for me.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestderp View Post
Thanks for all the info! I am only asking because I kinda fell into the boilermakers local out of Wisconsin, and have been seriously considering going union on the rig side of things. Seems I will likely just take a withdraw if I can get some ua work this Summer, and if not I will just keep doing independent pipe work and whatever the boilermakers have for me.
OK No problem with the boiler makers or you! Just curious how long have you been in the boilermakers union?
Old 01-24-2016, 02:33 PM

Thumbs up Re: Union questions

With a withdraw you can always go back and just pay a reinstatement fee if the time comes. That way you won't burn a bridge if you want or need to go back.

Just keep in mind that with the boilermakers it's probably easier to do some side work and non- union work when laid off because their jurisdiction is pertaining to boilers and pressure vessels and the side work and such may night infringe upon that. The UA on the other hand covers plumbers, Pipefitters,steam fitters, sprinkler fitters and pipeliners so any side work/nonunion work you do when laid off would more easily be considered working on stuff under their jurisdiction which is a no no. But that's only if you get caught. A guys gotta do what ever it takes to pay the bills and support his family is the way I see it but the union may not always see it that way.

Life is too short.. Work hard, play harder
Old 02-01-2016, 07:37 PM

I have meet hands that hold both a cards I think if you stay to working your rig with the ua and boiler making your fine
Old 02-02-2016, 05:06 AM

Mornin folks''catchin some of this conversation..got me to thinkin..As much bullshit we have to deal with our government.shutin down jobs cause those whinning liberal.candy asses,say its not right,,,,Its hurting our air quality, our ground water....while they set their ass in some cush office making these laws up.and we are rollin around in the mud to bring them the energy to keep their pink asses warm...and charging their green cars....These folks think corn grows in a can....I Pay 30,000 a year in taxes and they audit me because my travel log don't seem accurate..(3 Times in three years..)Guess they found a lucrative target...Pricks,,They don't have to get up at 3 am and hit the road,,,,anyways I just cant see how I would could deal with someone tellin me I cant work here or there..I have seen lots of guys in the 80,s on jobs I was on hiding behind tanks and nervous all day not wanting to be seen....What???...No Offense to you union guys and Gals...Just don't seem right to set at the hall waitin on a gig. or whatever ,,,when as americans, we need all the talent of the union folks to help build...
Old 02-02-2016, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutterin dan View Post
Mornin folks''catchin some of this conversation..got me to thinkin..As much bullshit we have to deal with our government.shutin down jobs cause those whinning liberal.candy asses,say its not right,,,,Its hurting our air quality, our ground water....while they set their ass in some cush office making these laws up.and we are rollin around in the mud to bring them the energy to keep their pink asses warm...and charging their green cars....These folks think corn grows in a can....I Pay 30,000 a year in taxes and they audit me because my travel log don't seem accurate..(3 Times in three years..)Guess they found a lucrative target...Pricks,,They don't have to get up at 3 am and hit the road,,,,anyways I just cant see how I would could deal with someone tellin me I cant work here or there..I have seen lots of guys in the 80,s on jobs I was on hiding behind tanks and nervous all day not wanting to be seen....What???...No Offense to you union guys and Gals...Just don't seem right to set at the hall waitin on a gig. or whatever ,,,when as americans, we need all the talent of the union folks to help build...
I here ya SD but when you join a Union you take an oath and pay your dues and that's the side of the fence your on! The Contractors that hire out of the union halls are signatory to whatever union hall they hire from! So no (Union Contractors ) no (union halls!) As far as guys hideing, well if your a pipe welder lets say and you have a union book then go work welding non pipe related work when times are tough but don't go work for a non union contractor that competes with the union contractors! You can't have it both ways! But there are guys that want it both ways and do that BS but I never will