Rig Welder Forums  

Go Back   Rig Welder Forums > Interesting info

Old 12-10-2011, 10:56 PM

Re: Inventor of the pancake hood

i don't have a problem with my sarge without a side clip (Never used it). By the time I get cover plates front and back plus my thick azz auto shade then my cheaters..with the metel expander thier in there so tight....they aint going no where. That's how I get my roll of dimes don't ya know. And after 36 years of welding...I dont' wear glasses.

Last edited by pipewelder_guy; 12-11-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H&DWelding View Post
wow those are sweet pics i take it you have them im glad i started this thread. e-z i looked at a sarges in person at my LWS and the thing i wasnt so sure about was the little spring clip that holds the lens in was not very tight around the eye piece looks like it would come off pretty easy ? thats just wat i gatherd maby im wrong not sure how wendys does it i see the one piece wrap around they look dumb but i like how they have the alum angle piece that hold the lens in let me know more if u could or any one for that matter
I have a sarge and a wendy. I like wendy more. feels lighter
Old 12-15-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipewelder_guy View Post
i don't have a problem with my sarge without a side clip (Never used it). By the time I get cover plates front and back plus my thick azz auto shade then my cheaters..with the metel expander thier in there so tight....they aint going no where. That's how I get my roll of dimes don't ya know. And after 36 years of welding...I dont' wear glasses.
I am in the same boat man I found a thin auto and it fits tight butt Like it for fitting up .I tryed a cheater the damn thing made me shick guse my eyes are not as bad as i was thinking LOL
Old 12-16-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roff View Post
I am in the same boat man I found a thin auto and it fits tight butt Like it for fitting up .I tryed a cheater the damn thing made me shick guse my eyes are not as bad as i was thinking LOL
shick guse? LOL

These new battery powered adustable shade lenses are huge but are the cats meow. The pancakes come in a new style whereby the lense holder is greatly expanded to hold all the crap. The older pancakes you can barely get a reguler lense and 2 protector plates in.

So if I was buying a new pancake, ask for the new extended lense compartment, then your covered........
Old 12-16-2011, 05:34 PM

As far as the sarges shields go, I replace the spring clip with a small piece of aluminum angle and bolt it through with a brass bolt to keep the spatter from sticking. I like to make a little block of duct tape to fill the space behind it. Works great for keeping sparklies out. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:10 PM

My dads got a engraved pancake hood, Says George Gilchirst, Inventor of the pancake, 1119 Luneoaln?(Hard to read) Ave. Rock springs Wyo 82901, Phone Number : 307*******. Had it since i was a kid
Old 01-06-2012, 06:11 PM

hang on to that bad boy id make a nice display case to put it in and hand it down to your kids
Lincoln Weldan Power 225 G7

" I cut it twice and it's still to short "
Old 01-29-2012, 06:08 AM

I am on my 2nd Gilchrist hood my first one disappeared in sometime in 1971 after I had joined the Army. It had been given to me by one of my mentors back in 69 and for that reason alone I wouldn't have taken any amount of money for it. in late 81 between Nov & Dec I read about a 36" going in up around Caspar Wy. So off to chase pipe I went. Now visualize this if you can. Here is a guy making a drive all the way from the oil patch in Texas who had been design building trailer mounted drill rigs, suddenly decides that he needs a pancake hood. makes a 1500 mile drive to go work on a 30 mile stretch of 36" and a guy who Strike #1,hadn't ever chased pipe strike #2,his rig was heavy loaded down with tools and a Holbart 400D. I had found where I could locate a pancake hood made by The one and only George Gilchrist so I bought 1 then spent the weekend carving and sanding on the nose grove and forehead piece but hadn't cranked my machine in a week.. anyway I show up early on Monday morning to test out the Super sees my dirty tan colored Holbart and, STRIKE# THREE!!!
"On no uncertain terms will I allow a $*#&$^## Hobart diesel on my line" But since you drove 1500 miles you might as well test out so I can have a reason to bust you off the line. I spooled out then connected on my whip stinger reached up and punched the preheat for a few seconds
" What the *#*@& are you doing now? wont that piece of crap start?"
It'll start but the temp is around -30 and I haven't even cranked it in a week I don't want to spin it over but a couple of times before it fires up. So @ 30 seconds I turn the key by the time the 3rd piston comes up she is roaring and ready.
I take a few rods and slip my pancake on ready to burn in my root.
Just then the sounds of several Lincolns are being ground to the point of dead batteries not 1 of them will start. I tell the Super that I'll boost all of them off before I do my test to give those guys an even chance at the job, he has so much as told me that I'm not getting on no matter what.
So I spin my knobs down to Zero and have 4 or 5 guys hook into my leads at the same time then turn them up until my meters are about 1/4 way pretty soon you hear 6 gray monsters blubbering to warm up.
The super just snatched up the rods from my pouch and tossed them along with the nipples in the scrap pile, then said I need you to do risers and turn backs move your rig around back of this tent then after all of these guys test out you will be using this tent as your work shop.
I still have my Gilchrist pancake and it has been around the world with me literally. For the past 9 years I have been working as the Senior design engineer in a factory I built here in Kuwait. this morning for the first time in many years I drug out the pancake and used it to show some guys how to do a 6G Arkansas Bell Hole style.
I will have that hood until the day they put me in the ground
Old 01-29-2012, 06:57 AM

Welcome Frank. I hope you like it here and come around often. Tom
Old 02-03-2012, 08:01 PM

hey frank welcome from across the big pond. do you have someone to pass that hood on too when your gone? i would like to get one( from anyone that has one,) to keep put up for future welders to see and keep charlies legacy going . please if anyone has one they would like to part with i would greatly appreciate the chance to buy it . just pm me or call me.