Rig Welder Forums  

Go Back   Rig Welder Forums > Interesting info

Old 08-30-2015, 04:12 PM

Old well heads

Went to and plugged a well by Dumas Texas. It was drilled in 1947 and had the original well head and 5 1/2 in tubing. My helper and I were helping the roustabout crew tear it down(other than the normal scarf the bolts off.) It was 8 5/8 casing, but the flange was about the same size as a 150# flange. When we got the bolts out the top flange had a lip that slid slid down between the tubing and the head. The most interesting part was instead of slips it had three layers of graphite rope. Thought it was interesting to see something and how it was done in the good ol' days.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:29 PM

Re: Old well heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by stout8807 View Post
Went to and plugged a well by Dumas Texas. It was drilled in 1947 and had the original well head and 5 1/2 in tubing. My helper and I were helping the roustabout crew tear it down(other than the normal scarf the bolts off.) It was 8 5/8 casing, but the flange was about the same size as a 150# flange. When we got the bolts out the top flange had a lip that slid slid down between the tubing and the head. The most interesting part was instead of slips it had three layers of graphite rope. Thought it was interesting to see something and how it was done in the good ol' days.
LMFAO stout I watched a thing on the history channel about the spindletop discovery well. First time drilling mud was ever used. them two ole boys rented a farmers pigs to wallow in a pit to mix it up. Now thats innovative!!!