Rig Welder Forums  

Go Back   Rig Welder Forums > Rigwelder.com Community Support

Old 10-15-2010, 09:52 AM

Rig welding in North Dakota, Dickinson area.

Hi my name is Sam and I am a structure welder with 5+ years of experience when it comes to various MIG welding. Most of my welding has been done with mild steel but I also have done a lot of stainless lately. I got some pipe welding experience as well since I have built pressure vessels of various sizes for about 3 years in Wisconsin. I have been ASME certified but am no longer.
I am looking to locate to North Dakota where my brother in law is working on the oil rigs. In Dickinson area. I wonder what certifications I am going to need when I go there? How much and what kind of welding experience I need the most of? What are the chances for on the job training? Does the companies send you to welding schools if they choose to hire you but need you to have more skills/knowledge/experience?
This would be permanent for me since the money is good...And a last question? How tough is it to get into these companies when it comes to welding? If there's anyone out there who could help me with this it would be great. And if there is any good and informative websites that I should visit, I would appreciate it if somebody would let me know...
Thanks for your time,
Sam
Old 10-16-2010, 08:18 PM

Cool Re: Rig welding in North Dakota, Dickinson area.

well for starters just forget everything you know about structure welding for it wont do you any good . if your going to the GAS field ,not oil , you have to be able to weld down hill with 6010,8010, and hypi +. you have to be able to fabricate in all aspecs of the field. No they dont send you to welding schools if you dont have the knowledge they just hire someone that has what they need. You need to know someone to help get you hired.now the drilling rigs normally dont require you to be certified,but you do have to have all your own welding equipment. that includes a welding machine,lincoln sa200or 250 or 300. It is very hard to get hired right now with all the welders that are out of work. If there is anything else you need to know just ask. you can also give me a call if you'd like 817-965-2630
united we stand
divided we fall
robert