Rig Welder Forums  

Go Back   Rig Welder Forums > Rigwelder.com Community Support

Old 05-13-2009, 05:18 PM

Talking 12 on 12 branch test

could anyone please post some pics of the 12 on 12 branch test,those pics are lacking on this site and those pics are what we r all about,please try and get some up close throght and neck pics,from layout to fit up to tack and weld.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:24 AM

Re: 12 on 12 branch test

I'm not interested in pics, but I would like some pointers on doing the test itself. I have never done a branch that had to be cut and fabricated, they have always been done with tee's in my experience. I've got a pipefitters handbook and have been studying up on how to to lay it out and fabricate it, but if anyone has any tips that would be much appreciated. I've done some branches that were structural and didn't require cutting an opening in the pipe and running with an open root. Anyhow, just looking to get some pointers on fit-up and fabrication.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:16 AM

there is only one answer for the 12 on 12 branch practice practice practice then at test time patience patience patience take your time and get the fit right then the welding shouldnt be a problem and most welding suppliers sell the templets for the 12" branch but some companies want you to lay it out by hand but only have run into a few that require that. all that test is is an endurance test to see if you buckle under pressure just take your time make it fit right there is no secret to it.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:53 PM

thanks for the help. do you think practicing on 6" pipe would be about the same or should I try to score some 12" somewhere?
Old 06-02-2009, 02:08 PM

atleast 10" or up i wouldnt use anything smaller
Old 06-03-2009, 06:36 PM

on your branch make sure it is as clean as you can get it after every pass, especially in your throat areas. this is what gets most welders. on the bead it doesnt have to be pretty just have to make sure all the wall is broke down. and for god sake DONT BEVEL THE SADDLE THE WRONG WAY!!! haha dont know how many welders for "pumpco" in texas did that AND fit it without cutting a hole in the main line. duh! any way if you need any other pointers just ask or call 817-965-2630 robert. good luck.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:06 AM

Smile Re: 12 on 12 branch test

As an inspector on the 1104 Inverted Brach. What I look for is workmanship. If you can handle your torch and no lip on the I.D. fit. No drip, overlap, undercut, and make all tie ends. When you layout for your staps to be broken. Good clean cuts and 1/16" notch below the base metal surface. I'm harder on this test than the bend. In my opinion, This is your test. Not the bell. Though I'm rough on the bell The Branch is what gets most. The welders tired and is ready to go home. You have to be ready to work when your tired.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:47 PM

Smile Re: 12 on 12 branch test

[QUOTE=Trey;1400]As an inspector on the 1104 Inverted Brach. What I look for is workmanship. If you can handle your torch and no lip on the I.D. fit. No drip, overlap, undercut, and make all tie ends. When you layout for your staps to be broken. Good clean cuts and 1/16" notch below the base metal surface. I'm harder on this test than the bend. In my opinion, This is your test. Not the bell. Though I'm rough on the bell The Branch is what gets most. The welders tired and is ready to go home. You have to be ready to work when your tired.[/QUOTE]

Damn strait for us old guys. In my neck of the woods a 1104 consists of the 12" 5G bell, 12" branch and 2" 6G all 5p+ and HYP or 70+ depending on pipe or company.

Then next day B31.3 consists of 6" schedule 80 downhill 70 plus on 6G, then 7018 x 6" 6G x 6" sch.80 then 2" 6G 7018.

I get crooked fingures after that.

Current on 2 taking another just to stay alive.

Vote in November!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:37 AM

Hey Man, Yea I hear you load and clear. I'm doing inspections at the momment. Rigged out my ole truck this past week. If I have to go back to my tools, I'm ready. Got some 12" with some 1/8",5/32",& 3/16" old rods though. All 9010G. Haven't tryed the ole brach out yet. But not to bad on the bell. Just bead and hot for now. Getting my hand back in it. For an ole fart as myself. Not to shabby.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:57 PM

just trying to perfect my 6G blind sided before i test for it this way its a snap first test i ever failed in my life was my 3G vert a very humbling experience might i say
spectrum650
Lincoln 180t
victor torches(new)
rolling on a Navistar rig
And if i can't fix it i can build a better one